Wednesday, May 8, 2013

On the Tarmac

Ho! My name's Jonathan (Jon) Berger. I'm a rising junior at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA. I'm pre-med, in Army ROTC, and I enjoy singing and geeky stuff. If you're reading this, it's almost certain that you know me personally, and are aware of most, if not all, of these things about me, but I kind of have to do this bit at the beginning.  You know how it is.

If you're reading this, you probably also know that this summer is somewhat of a doozy for me! In a good way. I'm currently en route to Morocco for a Maymester (a class that runs the length of May) abroad on "Religion and Culture in Morocco"; seems like a pretty good location for the topic, no? After that, I'll come back to the States, turn around immediately, and head off for a CULP (Cultural Understanding and Language Proficiency) deployment in Israel with a few other ROTC cadets from schools around the US. So, if you we're asking yourself "Man, why does this 'Jon' guy think he's cool enough to have something to say that I want to listen to? What a jerk," well, now you know.

I'm currently typing this on my iPhone, thumbs a pair of blurs, frantically trying to finish this first post before the stewardesses (flight attendants, whatever) come around and tell me to shut my phone off. You might say to yourself, "What a moron. He had a three-hour layover in Denver to do that! Why wait until he's on the Tarmac, literally about to take off for Paris?" Those are some excellent points, hypothetical reader. I mistakenly assumed that, seeing as Delta has wifi on the two-hour flight from Atlanta to Buffalo, they'd have it on the eight-hour one from Detroit to Paris, but apparently we're not quite there yet. Not that I'm bitter, or anything.

When I have a few minutes to sit down with my laptop and some sweet, sweet wifi, I'll give you a rundown of how I got here and my itinerary in brief for the next two months or so. Until then, keep an eye on this space, and I'll talk to you soon!

7 comments:

  1. Happy trails, pal. I'll be watching this space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS This is your father speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between these two trips and the Ft. Benning stint in July, it seems this summer is all about Jonathan being in hot dusty places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Mom. Not sure why it's not showing my Google account name...

      Delete
  4. Is Fort Benning dusty? - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the Land That God Forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ft. Knox is dusty too. Except where they keep the gold. Be sure to ask about that when you are there.

    ReplyDelete